The number of Chinese students going on overseas study tours in Los Angeles is reduced sharply this year, according to a report by uschinapress.com on Sunday.
Los Angeles saw the number of Chinese students coming for study tours decline by nearly 50 percent in July this year, compared to the same period in the past two to three years, according to the local tourism industry.
This is mainly because the US has tightened restrictions on some Chinese visas, requiring students over 14 years old to be interviewed at the embassy. Subsequently, this year most students who arrive in the city for study tours are younger than 14 and their safety awareness is not developed enough.
For example, a tour guide surnamed Yang said a student was locked in bus for nearly three hours a few days ago because he fell asleep. Luckily, the student was woken up by a phone call from his parents and opened the door himself by using the emergency door control.
Forgetting things here and there is also common among young students. Yang said both students and teachers leading the team need to strengthen their safety awareness.
Though study tours only last for a short time, it's necessary for participants to learn how to stay safe overseas before they embark on their trip. Otherwise, it will be too late if an accident happens.
July is the peak period for Chinese students from primary and middle school to take part in US study tours. Last year saw the number of students going abroad for study tours increase by nearly 40 percent, compared to 2016, according to English First, a Swedish-English education company in China.